Stuff You Didn't Know About Brian
Get to know Brian by playing Odd One Out. Each of the following groups of three have two true statements about Brian and one made up statement. Can you guess which is the odd one out?
1. Brian has performed the following jobs:
b. Ranch Hand
c. Stand Up Comedian
2. Brian has attended the following universities:
a. Bucknell University
b. Miami University
c. Hollins University
3. Brian has met the following celebrities:
a. Don Shula
b. B.B. King
c. Don King
4. Brian has held the following titles:
a. Class President
b. Class Clown
c. Class Valedictorian
5. Brian has had the following adventures:
a. Sky Diving
b. Climbing to the top of a Mexican pyramid
c. Riding in a hot air balloon
1. b. Brian has never worked at as a ranch hand, but he does like spicy ranch dressing!
Teacher: Brian taught English & Social Studies for six years in programs for at risk students.
Comedian: Brian used to perform at Groucho’s in Roanoke
Oddly enough, he got more laughs as a teacher - remember they're laughing with you!
2. There is no odd one out.
Brian attended all three of these universities. After
departing Bucknell due to financial circumstances beyond his control, he worked to earn his Bachelor’s from Miami University and several years thereafter, his Master’s from Hollins University.
Wow, it’s only question #2 and already we’re breaking the rules!
3. c. Brian has never met Don King, but he admires his hairstyle!
B.B. King: Brian actually snuck backstage to meet B.B. after a show at Virginia Tech.
Don Shula: Upon meeting coach Shula, Brian said “I loved you in that Ace Ventura movie.”
You younger readers can ask your parents who these people are.
4. c. Brian can’t spell valedictorian without looking it up.
President: Brian was elected class president his freshman year in high school.
Clown: That same year he led the class in demerits. If you’re going to do anything, do it all the way!
5.a. Brian has never jumped out of a plane, although he’d like to (as long as it's voluntarily.)
Pyramid: Brian and his wife climbed the pyramid in Coba, Mexico.
Balloon: Brian and his wife took a balloon ride at the annual Boise River Festival.
Apparently it helps to have someone with you when you feel daring!
6. Brian has been hit in the head with a:
a. Hockey Puck
7. Brian has written song lyrics for:
a. The Rhinoz
b. The Doors
c. Family Reunion
8. Brian used to catch the following animals for pets:
9. At the age of 9 Brian began to write his own:
b. Comic Stirps
c. Short Stories
10. Brian's favorite sports teams are:
a. The Miami Dolphins
b. The Chicago Bulls
c. The Baltimore Orioles
6. a. Brian wouldn’t even know a hockey puck if one did hit him – not his sport.
Baseball: Thank God for helmets!
Pick: Brian was hit by a neighbor who was breading rocks in the backyard.
And it hasn’t affected me at googlywiddlesnorf!
7. b. Pretty obvious, however, Brian did receive a nice letter from Ray Manzarek praising his lyrics.
Rhinoz: Brian collaborated with his friend Chris
who happened to be in the band.
Family Reunion: Their recording of his song, YES, was nominated for the 2012 ICMA Song of the Year!
8. a. Brian didn’t catch frogs for pets, although he did catch them (see #2 below.)
Turtles: They’re the only legged animal slower than Brian,
which made it easy.
Snakes: Brian was always fascinated by them, they’re actually quite graceful.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Do NOT try this at home kids!
9. No odd one out.
Poems: Brian was inspired to write his own after hearing a reading of Casey at the Bat.
Comics: None have survived, but Brian thinks they were about a dog, cat, and mouse in space.
Stories: Brian was actually kicked out of class once for writing too many stories for an assignment.
Note to teachers - NEVER do that to a child! Creativity is as important as following rules.
10. b. The Bulls already have six championships, they can't have everything.
Dolphins: Brian started watching the NFL the year the Dolphins went undefeated, how could he pick anyone else?
Orioles: Brian even managed to find his way into the team locker room during the 1979 World Series.
Karmic Connection: Brian was born in 1966, the year
the Dolphins were founded and the Orioles won their 1st World Series.